Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Wonderful Life Post Degree-ness (Part IV)

Saturday 4th June 2011
LONDON BABY!!

I'm all excited and rearing to go!  I get showered and dressed and ready to set out into the sunshine and hit London!  We get to the train station, grab an all day ticket and jump on that bad boy into the Great City.  On the way he was feeling ill again and took a snooze all the way down there.  I managed to plaster lip gloss on him without him realising - SCORE!




(I saved him the indignities of putting the post up with him and the lip gloss).

When we got there we decided that the best thing to do was explore some museums.  And so we hit the Natural History Museum…




…the Science Museum...


(got lost for ages, got a McD’s and he fed a homeless man)
…and the British Museum.




Only by the time we reached the British Museum my legs were begging for mercy and I collapsed on that shiny cream floor, took off my stinking trainers and tried to cool my feet under that ornate greenhouse glass roof it has.  Was a bad idea as my trainers wouldn’t fit back on my foot and I just wished I could take them off and walk around in my socks.  But I’m assuming this would be frowned upon – one does not normally walk around in their stocking feet unless you’ve very unfortunately misplaced your shoes.

We spent ages on the grass in the iconic grounds of the British Museum and befriending pigeons until we got told to clear off as they were locking the gates on us.





Feeling sort of refreshed and knowing the evening was coming I got some tourist goods before we retraced our steps to try and find Hamleys. 

He bought a helicopter.

We carried on walking down to Trafalgar Square and sat on the fountains for a while.  We watched the Olympic clock for a while.  And he climbed some lions.

Can you tell what this is?






We then meandered down towards Buckingham Palace which is another long walk.  But we got there and it looked beautiful.  The last time I’d been there I couldn’t get a picture because the sun was directly behind it (typical that the Queen should have a south facing garden), but this time it was just perfect.  I even got a semi-decent picture of us in front of it thanks to a stranger though he was preoccupied thinking the guy was about to run off with my camera (suppose that would spoil my trip).  We followed the path passed the cherubs and around St James Park where I literally had a squirrel run up my leg (not sure what it is about animals and me).






Leaving the park we walked to Big Ben, and I thought it was leaning – I was proved right a few months later.

When we were at Big Ben it was light. 




 When we got across the bridge from Big Ben it was dusk.




This proves how big London is.

But we got a McD’s and enjoyed the sun going down over the buildings in the shadow of the London Eye (we regretfully didn’t get to go on there).  We walked along the bridge and passed the amusements before crossing yet another bridge and getting the tube back to the station to get to Essex (we had to take a long convoluted journey though due to several lines being down – this wasn’t good).




But we got back safely eventually, put our feet up, and watched Britain's Got Talent which just happened to be the final.  He played with his helicopter.



The perfect end to the perfect day.



No comments:

Post a Comment